James E. Ballidis
List All Members | Attorney Profile:
- Allen, Flatt, Ballidis & Leslie, Inc.
- 4400 MacArthur Blvd., Suite 370
Newport Beach, CA 92660
Where I'm From
I was born on October 17, 1955 in San Francisco, California and have one brother. My father was killed when I was six months old, serving as a fireman in San Francisco, the result of a negligent auto driver. My mother remarried when I was five years old, and we welcomed my half brother into our new family. Unfortunately, my stepfather died at the hands of a gunman at his place of business. My mother raised both of us by herself and with great strength.
I attended California State University, Long Beach, graduating with a degree in marketing in 1982. Despite being told that I lacked the funds and the academic and professional recommendations necessary to attend law school, I was admitted to Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles. I worked full time in order to pay for my education, graduating in 1985 with top honors.
Admission to practice
Admitted to practice in California, 1985.
Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 1990.
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
Orange County Bar Association
American Bar Association
State Bar of California
Consumer Attorneys Association of California
Orange County Trial Lawyers Association
Association of Trial Lawyers of America
In 1985, I was hired by a prominent defense firm to represent insurance companies and their insured clients. I learned firsthand the tactics employed by insurance companies to persuade injured victims to settle their claims for less than full value. I could not in good conscience continue that avenue of representation, but I also found that many plaintiffs’ lawyers were not much better.
It was at that time that I met the founder of the firm where I presently sit as president. Robert Allen asked me to work for him for one year. If I was not persuaded that we were doing good work, much needed work for injured victims, he would assist me in the pursuit of other opportunities in law. I never left. Over the years, I learned what excellent service we gave clients and have been involved in many cases in which the outcome was directly attributable to the dedication and tenacity of Robert Allen, John Flatt, Suzanne Leslie, myself and the staff. I am proud of the firm and our accomplishments.
I obtained an advanced advocacy certificate from Hastings College of Law in 1991 and became a litigator for the firm. After many trials and successful settlements, I became the senior litigation attorney and eventually took over the presidency of the firm in 2004.
We offer a high level of service to all our clients, one with which I am proud to associate myself. We strive in every case to help our clients "Soar Above" and not just survive an accident using the skills and experience we’ve developed over nearly 40 years.
Achievements and Awards
Although helping clients restore their health and recover the lives they had prior to their accidents is the greatest reward, several organizations have recognized my successes inside and out of the courtroom over the years.
- Designated Attorney of the Year in 2011 by the American Academy of Ethical Attorneys
- Received highest ranking, 10.0, bestowed on an attorney by lawyer-rating service AVVO
- Granted AV® Preeminent™ designation for outstanding achievement and professional ethics as awarded by Martindale-Hubbell, an independent rating organization of lawyers in the United States
- Featured in “88-lawyers” and nominated to “Superlawyers,” two organizations dedicated to identifying and recognizing superior lawyers in their field.
Throughout my 28 years helping the victims of serious accidents and other injustices, I’ve shared my insights on the paths to success—whether overcoming painful, debilitating injuries, navigating the civil claims process, or attaining personal or professional goals—in numerous books and articles that have been featured locally and nationally in Fox, Forbes, CNBC, and USA Today. The listing below will guide you to the publication that best addresses your needs.
Articles on personal injury claims and the rights of injured victims have been published in the Orange County Register, the Los Angeles Times, and California Lawyer. In addition, I regularly update our firm’s blog with articles on an array of subjects addressing your rights and how to protect them.
Insurance companies are employing more tactics than ever to deprive accident victims of the compensation necessary to fully recover, both physically and financially. Learn the mistakes claimants commonly make and how to avoid them in this insider look at the insurance industry.
Physical strength and endurance are integral to athletes’ ability to achieve their goals, which is one reason why injuries resulting from accidents can prove especially devastating for them. After guiding professional and non-professional athletes through the recovery process for 28 years, I’ve learned the nine most common pitfalls that prevent them from returning to the track, the court, and the pool. I share them with you in this book.
Descriptions like “Super Lawyer” or “Best Lawyer” tell you nothing about the professionalism or qualifications of a lawyer. Such titles can serve as an obstacle to finding the right lawyer for your specific legal need. This book teaches you how to circumvent the typical advertising hype in order to research, qualify, and select an adept lawyer.
Whether recovering from a serious accident, training for a marathon, or starting a business, the path to success is often marked by struggle—sometimes as much with ourselves as with real obstacles. In Champions, I join other leading professionals to share how we overcame such obstacles to rise to the top of our fields.
Collaborating with Jack Canfield, best-selling author and originator of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series, as well as several other leading experts in their industries, I illustrate what has proven to be the cornerstone to my success in my contributing chapter, “The Secret to Success Seldom Discovered.” The National Academy of Best Selling Authors gave me a Quillies writing award for my work on the book in 2012. Achieving best-seller status in seven Amazon.com categories on its first day of release, the book also explores the authors’ inspiration and motivation to move forward and proven action steps to attract abundance and bring fulfillment.
In addition to these publications, I have also discussed civil law issues, motivation, and success on several radio shows, including the Bill Handle Show, Trust Talk Radio with Shadi Shaffer on KOCI 101.5 FM, Angels Radio Network, and KFI.
I love to snow ski, water ski, and hike and spend time with my daughter as she grows up. I am a second-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and also enjoy diving and cycling.
Download a Publication:
- ROV's are the next great thing, but their safety record is very poor. Here are 5 ways to avoid serious injury and death.
- I was a passenger on a ATV that flipped over. What insurance covers my injury and damages?
- A California motorcycle accident attorney shows you ways to protect your life, and the statistics to back it up!
- Cycle accidents can cause injury, including the need for surgery, and if you do not have insurance, great frustration. Here are some steps to take to get treatment.
- Bicycle lanes and how they protect bicycle riders in California from accidents. This article was written by a California bicycle accident attorney.
- Were you involved in a bicycle or cycle accident? A California bicycle and cycle attorney gives you the rules applicable to your accident.
- Auto accident victims rarely obtain an apology from the person committing the wrong, according to a California accident attorney.
- The California CHP has received a sizable grant to reduce drunk driving. Will the money be used well?
- Credit is an important asset in today’s lending environment. Don’t let an automobile accident ruin your credit when medical, ambulance, hospital and reimbursement bills go unpaid.
- Prior history of injury in an auto accident case is not always bad for the case. I outline why you do not want to withhold information about your prior injury in a California accident.
- I have a preexisting condition from a prior auto accident. Do I have to disclose that to the insurance company for my new injury claim in my California auto accident?
- Defense attorney reveals mistake that could cost a client at mediation. How to maximize your settlement of a Los Angeles or Orange County auto accident case.
- Medicare paid my accident medical bills. Do I have to reimburse Medicare?
- I received a hospital bill that is ridiculous for the amount of treatment that they rendered to me in the emergency room after my accident. Is there anything I can do about it?
- If my insurance company is not giving me the treatment approval I need for my accident injuries what can I do? A California accident and personal injury attorney guides you through the process.
- Does a California hospital have the right to attach the proceeds of my settlement instead of billing my health insurance or Medicare?
- I was rear ended in an accident. Do I need an attorney when liability is so clear?
- I was struck by a driver that was on the phone in California. Do I have a claim and can I make the district attorney prosecute this driver?
- Victims or sudden and unexpected acceleration: Find out if your car has been recalled. Call us at 1 866-981-5596 to get the help you need.
Truck Accident Lawyer
- Truck accidents can be devastating to your credit. Here are five steps to avoid credit damage after your truck accident.
- What factors are considered in a life care plan following a truck accident?
- I was hit by a truck, is the trucking company liable if the driver was an independent contractor?
- Do trucking companies check the drivers’ licenses and driving status of their drivers?
- When trucking companies do not carry out background checks, and hire incompetent drivers, the consequences can be devastating.
- Does my uninsured motorist coverage protect me if a truck caused my accident?
- Why are most truck accidents in California caused by trucks changing lanes? Here is a short synopsis, and how you can prevent injury.
- New technology in pedestrian accident avoidance
- A real life factual description of injury from a auto v. pedestrian case. You need an attorney to interpret, describe and settle a case of this magnitude.
- The California Uninsured Motorist Process Explained.
- Finding a lawyer that specializes in wrongful death is important. Check out this article on how to start your search.
- How is a wrongful death settlement distributed amongst my family and heirs after a California wrongful death claim is brought?
- I was relying on someone, I was not related to, for financial support and they died from the wrongful conduct of another person. Can I bring a claim, even though I was not related or married to the person who died in California?
- Your recovery from a wrongful death will take time, and great effort. Here is a list of "first steps" you can take now. Just one may help you immensely and they are not difficult.