Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: 949-752-7474
Allen, Flatt, Ballidis & Leslie, Inc.

Has your child been hurt in a bicycle accident in California, or do you just need to know what laws are applicable to your children? This article is for you.

Children must follow the rules of the road set forth in the article "What laws control a cyclist on the highway or roadway in California."  But they have some more unique rules as well.  Check out California Vehicle Code section 21210.  "No person shall leave a bicycle lying on its side on any sidewalk," There must be an adequate path for pedestrian  and rider traffic.  Section 21211 prohibits anyone from standing on the roadway, bikepath or loitering, thus interfereing with the flow of cycle traffic.  So if you are going to chat, stop and move off the bike lane or pathway.

More officers are citing children and their parents when there is a violation, because of the frequency and continued occurrence of preventable injury accidents between young bicycle riders and motorists. Parents can be liable for injury and damages in accidents caused by their child on a bicycle. Therefore it is worthwile to spend some time encouraging your young cyclist to be safe and instructing them to follow the rules when riding on public streets.

Many skateboarders and cyclists will actually hang onto a car or streetcar or bus.  This is prohibited by vehicle code section 21204 and if you are the driver, and allow that conduct, you are also liable and can be cited by an officer.

Lastly, California Vehicle Code Section 21212(a) states a person under 18 years of age shall not operate a bicycle, a nonmotorized scooter, or a skateboard, nor shall they wear in-line or roller skates, nor ride on a bicycle, a nonmotorized scooter, or a skateboard as a passenger, on a street, bikeway, as or any other public bicycle path or trail unless that person is wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet

Parents, you are liable if your child does not wear a helmet.  See California Vehicle code section 21212 (e): "The parent or legal guardian having custody of a minor shall be liable with the minor."

Keep your children safe, buy proper training and providing the equipment they need. If they are struck by a vehicle call a California bicycle accident lawyer for help.  Call us for a free consultaiton at 1 866-981-5596.

Live Chat