Orange County Car Accidents Can Cause Hidden Injuries. When Should You See A Doctor?If you were involved in an Orange County car crash, you may be relieved to find yourself relatively uninjured. If you feel fine and move fine, you may turn down the EMT's offer of an ambulance ride to the hospital to get checked out. But, is this a good idea?
The Newport Beach auto accident attorneys at Allen, Flatt, Ballidis and Leslie suggest that every accident victim visit a doctor within 24 hours of the accident. Car accident injuries that seem minor at first can sometimes lead to serious disability or even death, particularly head and spinal cord injuries.
Possible signs of head injury
- Loss of consciousness
- Drop in blood pressure
- Blood or fluid coming out of the nose or ear
- Projectile vomiting
- Stiff neck
- Change in vision, hearing, taste or smell
- Slurred speech or difficulty speaking or finding words
- Numbness or tingling in extremities
- Uneven pupils
- Irritability, depression and other emotional changes
- Personality or behavioral changes
- Lack of coordination
- Confusion or drowsiness
- Symptoms improve and then suddenly get worse
Possible signs of a spinal cord injury
- Pain in neck, shoulder, back , legs or arms starting immediately after the accident or in the weeks following the accident
- Numbness or tingling in any part of the body
- Weakness or lack of coordination
- Balance problems
- Loss of movement
- Loss of sensation, inability to feel hot and cold
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Spasms or exaggerated reflexes
- Changes in sexual function
- Difficulty breathing, coughing
There is one other reason to be seen by a doctor. If you do indeed have a hidden injury, you may want to claim insurance compensation for your medical costs. However, if you don't seek a doctor's care immediately after the accident, the insurance company may accuse you of making a false claim. Seeing a doctor covers your bases both physically and financially.
For more information about what to do after an Orange County automobile accident, request a free copy of our book, 7 Mistakes That Could Sabotage Your Accident Claim. To discuss your injury with a Newport Beach auto accident attorney, contact Allen, Flatt, Ballidis and Leslie at 866-981-5596. The initial consultation is free and there is no obligation.