Preventing California Dog Bite Attacks: What Are The Most Dangerous Dog Breeds?Are some dogs more dangerous than others? Is having a pit bull when you have a child irresponsible? When a dog bites, is it the breed or the owner that is responsible?
A list was made of the top ten most dangerous dog breeds using data from the American Veterinary Medical Association, the Centers for Disease Control, and the Humane Society of the United States. These breeds were identified as the ten most dangerous:
10. Dalmatian: Dalmatians are mid-sized (40-70 lbs) dogs, but they are very protective and have strong survival instincts. They can be aggressive if threatened.
9. Boxer: Boxers are not aggressive by nature, but these medium-sized dogs (50-70 lbs.) are headstrong and difficult to train.
8. Presa Canario: These dogs were bred to guard and fight with cattle. They have no fear and are powerful and large enough (80-115 lbs.) to cause serious injury to their victims.
7. Chow Chow: If poorly bred, Chow Chows can be very aggressive.
6. Doberman Pinschers: Dobermans are alert and loyal and make excellent guard dogs. A Doberman will be very aggressive if the dog believes its property or family are in danger.
5. Alaskan Malamutes: Alaskan Malamutes are large (75-100 lbs.) energetic and active dogs that can become very destructive if bored.
4. Huskies: Most huskies are usually very gentle although energetic dogs. However, about six percent of dog bite fatalities are attributed to huskies.
3. German Shepherds: German Shepherds are fearless and alert. Because of their intelligence, they are often used by K-9 units. They can be trained to be aggressive.
2. Rottweilers: Rottweilers are very aggressive large (100-130 lbs.) dogs with strong territorial instincts.
1. Pit Bulls: Although medium-sized (55-65 lbs.), pit bull are fearless and aggressive and are often trained for dog fighting. They will lock their jaws onto a victim (human or animal) and won't let go until the victim's death.
It is important to remember that all dogs are potentially dangerous regardless of breed or training. While some dogs are considered dangerous because the breed is naturally large or strong or aggressive, any dog will attack if ill or threatened. In fact, when a researcher at the University of Colorado School of Medicine did a study on dog attacks, he found that the Labrador, a breed considered gentle and safe with children, was responsible for the most dog bites.
Vikram Durairaj's most dangerous dog list:
1. Labrador retrievers (13.7 %)
2. Rottweilers (4.9 % )
3. German shepherds (4.4 %)
4. Golden Retrievers (3 %)
However, this study was conducted in Denver, Colorado where pit bulls are banned. Nationwide, pit bulls account for 32 percent of dog bite attacks.
If you or your child has been injured in a California dog bite attack, you may have a California personal injury claim. An Orange County dog bite lawyer can evaluate your claim and advise you of your rights. Contact Allen, Flatt, Ballidis and Leslie to schedule a free consultation with a Orange County dog bite lawyer.
For information about preventing dog bite attacks, read our article, "May 16-22 is National Dog Bite Prevention Week. These tips can help your child stay safe."