Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: 949-752-7474
Allen, Flatt, Ballidis & Leslie, Inc.

What to do after an accident

Here is a simple step by step guide for you to follow when you need to decide what to do after an accident.  Call us at 1 888 752-7474 if you want our help with your case.


Video Transcription:

Jim Ballidis:  Hi this is Jim Ballidis. I'm a personal injury lawyer in California, and today I am in Newport Beach, California to talk to you about what should you do if you're involved in a car accident.  The first and foremost thing obviously is to obtain the information of the driver. I think almost everybody understands that and also to cooperate with the police if they're preparing a police report. But once you get home, what do you do?


First I recommend that you contact your insurance and let them know about the accident. You may have benefits under your policy that you're not aware of.  Second I would recommend that you immediately, immediately get into to see any medical doctor that you think is prudent or important if you've been injured. Now if you don’t have any injuries it may be safe to just go to your family doctor for one visit to make sure, but if you have any kind of pain or symptoms don’t wait. Study after study has shown that the quicker that you get into therapy and mobility and movement after an accident, the more likely it will be that you’ll prevent more serious injury from occurring and of course the earlier a diagnosis on a serious injury the better.


Third I would recommend that you not speak to the other party’s insurance company until you have a very thorough understanding of what it is that’s wrong with you and how the accident occurred. You may even want to wait until after the police report. Under no circumstances should you ever give a recorded statement. You can voluntarily speak to them, just tell them I’ll tell you anything you want to know but you're not going to record me. Why would they insist on recording you? Because they want to use that at a later date against you and if you don’t have representation protecting you, questions may be asked that are improper or they're not thorough or they could be misconstrued or your answers may not be clear even though you're trying to be truthful. So I would always recommend that you never give a recorded statement.  If you need help with any of these issues, help with medical treatment, wage loss, or building a case or a claim because of your injuries, I want you to feel free to call us. Call us at the number down below. This is Jim Ballidis. We represent clients all over the state of California and through three offices throughout the state, and I want you to feel comfortable calling us please. 

Live Chat